Where in the world are the Bolligers?

Where in the world are the Bolligers?

Fiona Anne FuYe Bolliger

Fiona Anne FuYe Bolliger
Fiona's Referral Picture

Fiona's Story

- Fiona was born on July 25, 2006 in the Ping Po village area of Guangxi, China
- She began her life as Rong FuYe at the Social Welfare Institute of Rong Xian in Guangxi
- FuYe was referred to us on August 21, 2007
- We received our Letter Of Approval from China on Monday January 21st, 2008.
- We received our Invitation to Travel and will be leaving for China on March 11th.
- Fiona joined the family on March 17th in Nanning.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

First Day With Fiona

We had such a wonderful first day with Fiona. She has begun to bond with all of us and seems happy. It's interesting to see how she reacts to her new environment. During the car rides to various meetings, her head turned every which way as she took in all the new sights. She loves every new toy that we give to her and especially loves the T.V. I'm not sure if she's never seen T.V. or if she finds comfort in hearing Chinese spoken on T.V.

Even though she is twenty months she is at the developmental level of a one year old. She has great fine motor skills, but lacks in large motor development. In between meetings, we spent our wait time in the hallways practicing walking. By the end of the day, she was actually taking a few steps. I think she'll catch up quickly.

She loves to eat! I was worried that I wouldn't be able to figure out how to feed her but it has been quite easy. She still takes formula, which I squirt into the back of her throat with a squirt bottle. She loves rice cereal, scrambled eggs, congee (Chinese cream of wheat), mushed fruit, and anything soft. I bought Chinese baby food for her in the hotel gift shop. Her favorite is mashed mackerel fish. We may have a hard time finding that back in the states!

She sleeps great. I'm sure she was on a strict routine in the orphanage. All I do is put her in her crib and turn out the lights. She doesn't make a peep until I get her out the next morning. I'm wondering how she'll adjust to the time change when we return home.

Fiona loves the kids. Every time they walk into the room her whole face lights up. I think having the kids here has helped her feel comfortable with us. Yesterday, we met with her caregivers for an hour. We were able to get information of her childhood including a photo album of her in the orphanage. During the meeting, I could tell that she was happy to see them, but she preferred to stay on our laps. She waved goodbye when they left but didn't cry at all. So far, she seems very content.

Patrick, Nyle, and Echo ventured out yesterday afternoon in search of some deals in electronics. After heading through some back alleyways, and hitting a couple of more "traditional" stores, they ended up at a 6 story electronics market that had every type of electronic gadget imaginable. The 6th floor contained "deals" on software and hardware that may be just a little too good to be true. Fear not, no copyrights were violated.

We are all doing fine. Regan has had some stomach trouble. I think she might have ingested some bacteria. I'm treating her with antibiotics and she seems to be improving. This morning we'll stick close to the hotel to make sure she is better. In the afternoon we might visit a nearby zoo or park. It is so beautiful here-the gardens are amazing.

I can't tell you how much we look forward to your comments. They are the first thing we read every morning! Now that we have Fiona all we want to do is come home and share her with everyone. We'll post more photos this afternoon.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are so happy to know that Fiona seems to be adjusting well in her family. I'm sure she senses that she is loved very much and I agree that it is good that the kids are there. They seem to communicate with each other even tho they do not understand the language. We are just counting the days until you are home. Seems we have been counting days for three years doesn't it. Hope you are feeling better Reggie. All of you stay well. See all you can and enjoy the rest of your stay. We are praying for you and love you...

Mom and Dad F.

Anonymous said...

We hope u r having fun. we hope Regan feels better. cant wait to see some new pics.-Kelsey G

we miss u all and can't wait 4 u 2 come back home. kelsey and i r glad fiona is agusting well!!:)
-lauren

Anonymous said...

We look forward every day to your updates. We are all so happy for you. What a wonderful addition to an already wonderful family! Glad all is going so well. You must be so thrilled to finally have her.

We'll continue the prayers! Hope Regan is feeling better.

The Burtons

Anonymous said...

hey, its me, sorry I am just posting a message, my boys are keeping me a little busy!!! Fiona is so beautiful. I can't believe how big she looks. I am so happy to know that she is adjusting well, and that you are having so much fun together. I am so glad the all of our prayers have been answered and that Fiona is safe and sound with her family. I can't wait to see you guys. Love you and miss you. I hope Regan gets feeling better.

Love,
Kappes family

P.S.Can we have an update on weight,height and sizes so I can go shopping!!!

Anonymous said...

quinn!!!!
i am so happy that you finally got fiona! she is beautiful kid. i hope regan feels much better. i hope you are having fun and an amazing trip. your a good and an amazing friend.
your friend,
molly

p.s. my whole family says hi!

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,

I have been waiting all day for a new post as I was very anxious to hear how the first day went. I am so happy that everyone is adjusting well and that Fiona is happy with her new family. Great news about the electronics shop, I am sure that was fun for the guys. I will expect my ipod when I come visit! I hope Regan gets feeling better. Maybe she just needs some good old McDonalds! I also would like an update on the sizes for Fu and I can't wait to see you guys next weekend! Love you.

Unknown said...

Hi Everyone, I was so anxious to hear how everything went on your first day...I was checking every 10 minutes! So happy to hear how well things are going. It almost seems like Fiona knew you were coming for her and was just waiting. Liking to eat and sleep...she is a true Bolliger!
Enjoy! Love you! Kelly

Anonymous said...

Icannot begin to tell you how much we have enjoyed sharing this experience with you!!! Can't wait to meet the little darling!

hugs,
Joe & Judy

Anonymous said...

We have so enjoyed reading about your experience. We feel like we are right there with you. How wonderful that Fiona has bonded so well and feels your love already! We will keep you in our prayers and look forward to meeting Fiona.

The Suits'